About the role
As an early member of the engineering team, you will help define and establish our core engineering practices, drive the technology roadmap, and be a leader on a team that will grow quickly. Your hands-on contributions will have an immediate, significant, impact on the product and our customers. You’ll also have the opportunity to contribute meaningfully to many other areas of the business and you’ll shape our culture, values, and processes in foundational ways.
What will you be doing in the role?
You will create customer value by building application services to power our client’s products. You will design APIs and develop scalable solutions for serving business data, performing data aggregations, integrating with external systems, and handling authentication and authorization. You’ll direct the operation and automation of infrastructure that builds, runs, deploys, and monitors services across multiple environments. You’ll obsess about engineering quality and design decisions to increase customer value flawlessly and at a high velocity. You’ll solve for scale in the context of performance but also the solution’s ability to service several customers. You’ll be on the ground floor of the engineering team, mentoring and leading junior members as the team scales. You’ll also work cross-functionally with other leaders of the company to set long-term strategy, and build and recruit a team to transform the industry.
What would make you a good fit?
- You’re both relentless and kind, and don’t see these as being mutually exclusive
- You have a self-directed learning style, an insatiable curiosity, and a hands-on execution mindset
- You’re incredibly ambitious and adaptable. You thrive in fast-moving, ambiguous, dynamic environments and operate fluidly between the 10,000-foot strategy level and the micro-details to get things right
- You have led teams in launching several backend services, and have a demonstrated track record of managing the full software development lifecycle, from designing technical architecture to operating production services for customers
- You like to think about problems quantitatively and work backwards from a customer outcome to generate technical solutions
- You have deep experience in Python and related tools and frameworks, and you’re adept at working on large datasets and scaling solutions to handle business data securely and efficiently
- You continuously raise the bar for development practices such as code quality processes, test coverage, automated build tools, etc.
- You obsess about correctness, performance, and reducing cognitive complexity in what you build
- You have excellent writing and speaking skills for communicating ideas to engineers and non-engineers
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience using Django, Flask, and/or FastAPI to build RESTful services
- 3+ years of experience with SQL and using relational databases to manage and analyze data
- Prior startup experience and a desire to take on difficult challenges and broad responsibilities
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and microservices architecture, and expert level skills using a debugging tool and developing testing code
What’ll make you stand out (but not required)
- Deep familiarity with AWS and Terraform
- You have a strong connection to teams in finance or closely related domains, with a deep appreciation for the challenges they face and their aspirations